понедельник, 27 мая 2013 г.

Review 4: The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby (2013)



Director: Baz Luhrmann

Cast:

Leonardo DiCaprio Jay Gatsby
Tobey Maguire - Nick Carraway
Carey Mulligan - Daisy Buchanan
Joel Edgerton - Tom Buchanan
Isla Fisher - Myrtle Wilson

Synopsis:

A story-teller, Nick Carraway, is in a hospital because of his problems with alcohol. A doctor advices him to write about everything that have happened with him. And Nick starts. It all starts in the spring of 1922. Nick leaves the Midwest and comes to New York City, an era of loosening morals, glittering jazz and bootleg kings. Chasing his own American Dream, Nick lands next door to a mysterious, party-giving millionaire, Jay Gatsby, and across the bay from his cousin, Daisy, and her philandering, blue-blooded husband, Tom Buchanan. It is thus that Nick is drawn into the captivating world of the super-rich, their illusions, loves and deceits. As Nick bears witness, within and without the world he inhabits, he pens a tale of impossible love, incorruptible dreams and high-octane tragedy, and holds a mirror to our own modern times and struggles.


Review:

"The Great Gatsby" is an adaptation of the novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald. When I first saw a trailer for this film, I really was struck by its fantastic atmosphere, but I also had some fears toward `its beauty and bombast which could ruin the whole idea of the book. Unfortunately I haven't read this novel, but I've heard many good reviews. And having watched the film, I wasn't disappointed.

I can't but mention about the cast. It was really tremendeous and impressive. Leonardo DiCaprio played the role of Gatsby. I don't think that there is anybody who could play this role better than he. Nature of this character is contradictory and complex, and as DiCaprio has been choosing such controversial roles for the second decade, so that Gatsby is hundred percent of his role. It will be almost a crime if it do not remain unnoticed by critics and audience. One can endlessly talk about his work in this film, it must be seen in person. Tobey Maguire, to my mind, practically forever rememebered as Peter Parker, and Carey Mulligan,personally I haven't heard about her, help to tell the story of Gatsby, who he is and where he is from, what is his dream. Their characters become part of the life of the Great Gatsby.

And of course, it should be mentioned about music. The soundtracks are really a part of the film. They help to feel the atmosphere of that time, to imagine taking part in these parties. Although most of songs are modern, they still fit into the film.

There are many different opinions towards this version of 'The Great Gatsby', but as for me, I really liked it! I was really impressed by the and of this film, and of course, I was waiting for such ending, but still I really sympathize to Gatsby. And also I was impressed by the last phylosophical speech. It's, indeed motivating and making to overthink some aspects of your life. 

1 комментарий:

  1. GOOD!
    SLIPS:
    ... I was REALLY struck by its fantastic atmosphere ...
    ... but I also had some fears THAT`its beauty and bombast MIGHT ruin the whole idea of the book.
    And having SEEN the film ...
    I can't but mention (NO 'about') the cast.

    ОтветитьУдалить